Monday, October 30, 2006

JM's Story




I wasn't really sure how the day would turn out, but I had made a promise to two of my best friends and I knew that I was going to give it my best no matter what. I really wondered about my sanity as the alarm went off at 3:30 that morning, but I showered, packed up, grabbed the dog and a bag of dog treats, remembered the blanket and took a book just in case. I was about to go to the Avon Walk to cheer on my friends as they walked 39 miles for the great cause of breast cancer awareness.

I arrived in the dark of morning, and knew immediately I had made the right choice when I saw Val and Joel in the early gloom in the parking lot. Val looked great, ready to walk, and Joel was already busy with his crew duties. I signed up, grabbed my cool blue t-shirt that said VOLUNTEER, and quickly helped with the breakfast duties. I found that there were so many volunteers I didn't have much to do before I was done. Susan and Sean materialized, and the little walking team was in place.

I drank coffee and watched as all the walkers gathered. It was one of the most amazing things, to stand there in the early morning grass and see all of these people accumulate with one purpose in mind. To walk 39 miles in the space of two days.

I said good-bye and good luck to Val, Susan and Sean. With my pom-poms, I stood in line with some other volunteers and we formed a cheering section as the group headed off. The motorcycle brigade fired up their bikes as the walk started, and I was astounded that the sound made tears well up in my eyes.

After cheering the starting line, I ran back to my car where the dog was waiting patiently. We drove along the route to a cheering station. I stood there and waved and cheered as walkers passed by, and I looked excitedly for the team I knew. Sure enough, here they came. Butch the dog and I cheered and smiled, and after they passed, dashed to the car for the next cheering station. I did this all day, never tiring of the game. Chase the walkers! Cheer them on!

The day got warm and long for me - I can only imagine how the walkers felt. But not once did my heart stop feeling for everyone involved in this huge event. Not once was I bored or wishing I was doing something else. This was a day for the books - top five for sure!

At the finish line that evening, it was especially emotional as I watched the walkers climb the last long hill. Many looked exhausted but every single one of them had a smile to some degree and that amazing sense of accomplishment.

I did not stay for the evening ceremonies and so missed the Great Rain Storm, but I was back the next morning with my dog and my cheering voice. I chased the walkers, and some by now knew the dog and always stopped to say "hi" as they passed by and give him a quick pet.

At the finish line that afternoon, things were, amazingly, even more emotional than the day before. This was the Big Finish with all the pomp and circumstance it deserved. To see all the pink t-shirts of the walkers there at the end was like a sea of pink. Absolutely beautiful.

No, I did not walk.
No, I did not crew.
Yes, I volunteered.
Yes, it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

And yes, I will be back to volunteer next year. Back to chase the walkers and cheer them on, to run about the city and go places I've never been before, all in the name of supporting my friends and a worthy cause. I wasn't sure how it would all turn out, and I was initially feeling a little less than worthy because I wasn't actually walking.
However, in the end, volunteering was immensely gratifying to my soul and spirit. If I can help in my own little way, then I will. I will be back for the walk in Denver 2007.

No comments: