Monday, May 08, 2006

The Last Mile is the Hardest Mile



Actually, my walk yesterday was pretty hard every mile!

I drove back early from a conference in Denver to walk 16 miles yesterday. Joel drove me to Lamy and dropped me off. I walked to Rancho Viejo. I was walking in silence the first 8 miles and then decided to listen to Travels with Charlie. I got my iPod out and it wouldn't turn on. The battery was totally dead. Luckily I had a lot to think about!

There were a lot of people out on the trail - including a motor bike rider, illegally driving his bike down the trail. There were a lot of walkers and bikers - mostly people out by themselves enjoying the great spring weather.

These are some pictures I took along the way.



This is a fading picture on a board in one of the trail parking lots.



A TP in the backyard.

So as I was walking and thinking - I was also thinking of songs. The Smiths did a song in the 1990s called "Is It Really So Strange" with the lyrics: Why is the last mile the hardest mile ? My throat was dry, with the sun in my eyes, And I realized, I could never, never, never, go back home again."

No comments: