Thursday, February 23, 2006

Sick and Injured


This month I have had some difficult weeks of training. I am now back on schedule. Two weeks ago I had some kind of flu bug that prevented me from doing heavy workouts for about a week. The Mayo Clinic's website has good information on exercising when sick. This is the advice I have followed for several years, and I haven't been let down yet.

If your symptoms are "above the neck" such as runny or stuffy nose, sneezing, or sore throat you can proceed with your workout.

However, if your symptoms are "below the neck" such as chest congestion or tightness, hacking cough or upset stomach you should postpone your workout. Also, you shouldn't exercise if you have a fever, fatigue or widespread muscle aches. Rarely, exercising with a fever has been associated with inflammation of the heart muscle (myocarditis).

This past weekend I injured my hand when I slid my fingers over broken glass. I am still picking out some of the tiny glass pieces, but the main part of the injury is a long deep cut in one of my fingers. I have continued my workouts this week, but my injured hand throbs during the most strenuous parts of the workout. I have found if I hold my hand above my heart, the pain subsides a bit.

The Mayo Clinic does not have any advice for exercising with deep cuts in hands.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish I'd seen this sooner. It's almost always good to keep hands elevated a bit -- if elbows aren't bent, even the swinging motion in walking can cause blood to pool in the hands, causing tingling and swelling. Anytime a hand is injured, ice it before going out to walk, keep it elevated, and reduce the swinging motion.

Marge

Anonymous said...

Val, I just read your entry about the advice on hand swelling. It definitely applies double to hands that are injured!!

Marge