Saturday, March 11, 2006

11 Miles +

I walked a little over 11 miles today. It was the best walk I have taken yet.

I started out really early this morning because the winds are suppose to be horrendous today. Luckily I finished my walk early. They are just now starting to blow around noon.

I started out taking the Spur Trail. I really liked this trail a lot. It is a pea gravel trail 3.4 miles long (6.8 round trip). There were a lot of walkers and runners out this morning and the culture of the trail itself was quite interesting. As I passed people, or they passed me, walkers either said, "good morning" or more likely, "great job, keep going!"

The trail (despite being busy) is mostly pretty isolated. For about the first mile you walk along the north side of the Rancho Viejo neighborhood. Then the trail makes a sharp left turn and continues east toward the Sangres. You can see a few houses along the path, but for the most part you feel far away from town. It is a beautiful walk. I took a few pictures.



This is the trail beginning. You can see snow starting to fall in the foothills.



This is near the end of the trail. I didn't realize I had been walking up hill to the end of the trail, but once you are at the end you are rewarded with a nice westward view of the Jemez Mountains.

Then I did two loops around the older section of Ranch Viejo. The map says each loop is 2.2 miles. The Rancho trails are paved and there were lots of people walking dogs. A few snow flakes fell while I was walking this loop, but it didn't seem very cold.

While walking the Rancho section I listened to a really great book on tape, The Emperor of Ocean Park. It is a mystery about a wealthy black family with federal judicial connections. The story is really great so far, and the reader of the book on tape is very good.

I feel a little tired but pretty good after the walk. I am really grateful to be done and out in the wind!

No comments: