Friday, March 10, 2006

Books that got me here




There were many things that inspired me to do this walk. Some of my inspiration was from family and friends. Some of the inspiration for walking came from these two books. My friend JM started an online book group several years ago, and in November and December of 2005 these were the books we read for the group discussion. Both books are stories about men who set out on physical adventures with seemingly little thought and/or preparation.

Bryson's book is one of my favorites. A Walk in the Woods is Bryson's story of hiking the Appalachian Trail with an old friend from Iowa.



French Revolutions by Tim Moore is a little crazier. It is the story of a guy who decides to cycle the Tour de France route. He starts out by himself and at different points is joined by his wife and children (traveling by car) and a friend who is a cycling expert.

Both books were inspiring in their humor, and the writers' alleged naivete about the adventures they undertake. Although I am beginning to believe no matter how much you think you have planned for a big adventure, you probably end up being naive about so many of the unknowns!

No comments: