Saturday, June 17, 2006

Saturday Walk in the Neighborhood



After a nice giant bowl of oatmeal at the Flying Tortilla I did a 7 mile walk through the neighborhood. It was a good walk. I did the outer loop of the neighborhood and one inner loop. I only passed 2 cars. I didn't see any wild animals - but the flowers are starting to bloom despite the dry conditions.

The picture above is a cactus that is flowering right next to our driveway. This year this type of cactus is flowering exuberantly. They are beautiful, and kind of shocking to see in the distant landscape - a globes of purple where it is usually so brown.



The above flowers are wildflowers I saw both in Santa Fe and Albuquerque this weekend. They are growing by the roadside where they get a little more water from the runoff.



These prehistoric plants grow even in the driest years. They produce gourds - and sometimes (like this year) they are the only real green coming up naturally.

No comments: