Saturday, January 21, 2006

Walking Outside



I just finished my first outside training walk. I left home without looking at the temperature. I knew it was a bit cold when I left, but the walk was bitter! The thermometer says it is 28 degrees right now, so it was at least that cold when I left. The lesson I learned today is check the temperature and dress for the weather. I was cold the entire time - no matter how fast I walked!

I walked the outer loop of our neighborhood which is 4.7 miles from the front door and back. I only passed 2 cars in my 1.5 hour walk. In the home stretch I got to meet 4 neighborhood dogs. One white fluffy dog and a Golden Retriever dashed out to meet me. They were good and left me alone after I passed their house. But just as they left me alone I saw 2 Bassett Hounds running for their lives across the desert. They were short and had green collars. They walked with me for about half a mile. I kept telling them to go home, but they just wouldn't listen. Eventually their angry screaming mom drove up in her car and took them away.

I love dogs! But I hate being followed by dogs when I am walking. I walk in the street, and the dogs do too. In the past when traffic was heavier I had a dog walking with me for nearly a mile and it was nearly hit by a car right in front of me. I hate that. A dog can ruin a good walk.

I found some socks I like and they really made a difference on my feet. I did some research and found socks made of a fabric called Cool Max. They are kind of thin socks, but they don't get wet and they slide really well in the shoe without messing up the feet. Target sells them - 6 pairs for about $8. I was at a sporting goods store yesterday where they were selling a similar pair of socks - one pair - for $8.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo, Val, for your endeavor, both for cancer victims and your personal experience.
Listen to your mother -- Remember that Calvin Coolidge's son died from a blister on his heel. --

Marge said...

Cool Max socks and clothing are the best! My friend Karen recommended them to me -- she did the Maui Marathon last year with Team in Training -- and I have loved them ever since. Glad you are checking the temperature before you leave -- and the wind, too. Hypothermia is no joke, and can be really dangerous if you walk alone. Take Care!! :-)